Welcome to the ultimate beauty-hoarder’s blog of product reviews and random nonsense. Please leave your sanity at the door and join me on my journey of self-discovery through overindulgence. I thank you.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Beauty is as Beauty ... Knows?


OK, so you know I’m a total people-watcher who likes to make sociological observations about the world in which we live. Well, one thing I’ve noticed is that pretty people have pretty friends. (And if, per chance, they have one randomly not-as-attractive amigo, he/she is super stylish to make up for it.) Why is that? From an early age, do they go looking specifically for equally pulchritudinous pals? Are they so shallow that they won’t even dain to speak to a homely type? You’d think, given human nature, that they’d look for slightly less alluring types, so they could be the most enchanting. Or … maybe they know that the opposite sex is more likely drawn to a group of beauties. I mean, heaven forbid you walk up to a good-lookin’ soul and get stuck with their fugly compadre. I don’t know.  I know they say opposites attract, but maybe like attracts like even more.

*Product Review Updates:  Lips, Bras, and Body

Alright, well I figured it was time for a little follow-up. As you live with a product, sometimes you begin to feel differently about it, and I wanted to give you the latest updates. First of all, my go-to lip product still seems to be the Cover Girl Outlast Lip Stain in Sassy Mauve (Post - Occam's Razor).  Despite some close competition from Maybelline’s new Color Sensational Lipstain line (I Had a Point), I still prefer CG’s Sassy Mauve to In the Buff.  For some reason, I also seem to be slightly allergic to the Maybelline Lipstain line.  It does give me a bit of a rash on my lips, but it goes away in a day or two.  Not enough of a bother to keep me from using it, but just another reason why I’m stickin’ with my Cover Girl.  On those very rare occasions when I find I’m in the mood for somethin’ sassier, I keep reaching for the mark. Gloss Gorgeous Stay On Lip Stain in Bella (Here's the Story, of a Girl Named Crazy). 

On to more intimate things … I remain enchanted by the shaping and support of Natural Touch by Vanity Fair’s Full Coverage Bra (Two Steps Closer to Cuckoo).  Now, even more so, since it’s on clearance at Target for $10.48.  The only reason I don’t wear it more often is because the fun and fabulous animal print shows through my summery lights.  Can’t wait for Fall!  (Colder weather will serve the full coverage cut better too.)  Also in its category … the Natural Touch Contour Underwire Bra (Bedtime Bath and Beauty).  Though the shaping doesn’t hold up quite as well, that’s forgivable considering it too is on Target clearance for $10.48.  Gotta love that clearance.

Now, I have to be brutally honest and say that, as much as I love the Avon NATURALS Vanilla Roll-On Anti-Perspirant Deodorant (The Truth Sucks), it doesn’t cut the funk quite as long as the Secret Scent Expression’s Truth or Pear.  It’s still great, but when I need maximum funk guard, I opt for the Secret.  Finally, the sweetest truth is that I’m still in love with Dylan’s Candy Bar Strawberry Licorice Candy Butter Cream (Plastic On the Furniture), only now it’s even sweeter on Sephora clearance clearance for $5.50.  Hello!!  Original price was $22!  So there you have it.  Updates on some of my favorite thingamabobs.  You can’t say I don’t tell it like it is.

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer,
    Thank you for the recap post. Your suggestions are always super helpful and the special way you have about writing things always makes me smile.
    I have to say thank you for turning me on to Weleda Skin Food. You wrote about it in May. I use it every day now and it's helped my dry skin. Any advice for dry hair?
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are quite welcome. Glad you found it helpful. Thanks for your support.

    So, on dry hair, I like virgin coconut oil. If you wanna get fancy, Oyin Handmade has a great Burnt Sugar Pomade (I blogged about this). It's a very strong vanilla sugar fragrance, but I like it. Darcy's Botanicals has a Madagascar Vanilla Styling Creme that's a lighter true vanilla extract fragrance.

    On wet hair, Rebecca (my baby sister) says that Darcy's Botanical's Pumpkin Seed Conditioner works great. I've got mine comin' in the mail, so we'll see.

    Good Luck!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete