Welcome to the ultimate beauty-hoarder’s blog of product reviews and random nonsense. Please leave your sanity at the door and join me on my journey of self-discovery through overindulgence. I thank you.

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Here’s the Story, of a Girl Named Crazy

Thankfully, I am not as obsessed with make-up as I am with silky skin treats. I do, however, have quite a collection of lip glosses (which I never really use anyway, they just seemed like a good idea at the time -- it’s what girly-girls wear, am I wrong?), powders, and lip stains. When I receive one that I like, it just compels me to order another. After all, if that one came so close to perfection, surely the next shade will be closer to the beauty mark (sorry, I can’t help myself). Or … if one is good, more is better, right? God, I’m fascinated by anthropology … or is it sociology? What drives us to do what we do, and why? I would love to just study people. To sit around asking crazy questions all day long. Fascinating!

*Product Review: mark. Gloss Gorgeous Stay On Lip Stain

OK, so here’s the deal … if you’re an everyday-lip-gloss-wearn’ kinda gal, this will be your go-to product. If you don’t normally wear lip gloss on a daily basis, this will make you want to. At $9 from shop.avon.com (Item #505-826), this is 1.5 grams of gorgeous. Yes, the product lives up to it’s name. It has the sexy glossiness we’re looking for, but not overdone, and it doesn’t leave you with dry naked lips when it wears off. First of all, it DOESN’T wear off. Second, when it does sort of “wear down” it leaves a really lovely layer of color. Finally someone has added my favorite type of cosmetic (a stain) to a product that has often annoyed me with its impracticality and failure to perform (the gloss). Alright, so my one gripe is that there isn’t a tremendous range of colors. I tried the Bare, Bella, Lolli, and Pop. On a medium-skinned African-American, such as myself, the Bare is just that … to the extreme. This is not a lot of color. It’s just the slighted hint of blush, but nice if you were going for clear anyway. When it wears down, the tint is a little hard to detect, though. The Bella is not nearly as dark as advertised, it’s really more of a natural blush tone on me. It’s just a slightly darker tint of rosy pink than the Bare. I LOVE the Bella shade! Very natural, but still a little sexy. The Lolli is definitely brighter, but a little bit too hot pinky for me, but not unwearable. (It would be a lovely bold color on a blond, though.) The Pop is the fairest of them all. It has a very slight peach undertone, but not too much so. It's great if you're going for that smokey-eye-pale-lip look. So, they definitely need to expand their selection, but it’s a great start. And I was impressed by how versatile the colors were. They really could work on anyone from Snow White to Grace Jones. (By the way, I’d like to see their cabaret act.) This product won’t replace your glamgirl night-out-on-the-town vixen gloss, but it’s a great option for days when you wouldn’t have worn a gloss at all. Where I normally reach for my lip stain in the morning, I now find myself grabbing this gloss instead. (Get down with my bad, sexy self.) I no longer have to worry that I’ll be too over-the-top shellacked, or left looking barren when the gloss wears off. This is the only gloss worth the sticky, kissy mess to me. I love it. What more can I say? Get it. No, seriously, why are you still reading this? BUY IT!! … 5 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment