Welcome to the ultimate beauty-hoarder’s blog of product reviews and random nonsense. Please leave your sanity at the door and join me on my journey of self-discovery through overindulgence. I thank you.

Monday, April 12, 2010

Occam’s Razor

I really am practical. No, really. I don’t understand the point of bras with seams when today’s seamless contraptions will work with any outfit. Why buy underwear in fashion colors when beige, tan, and black will work with everything? And lip gloss just doesn’t make sense when you’re gonna spend the day kissing your baby, your significant other, or (if you’re lucky) your handsome co-star. It’s just messy. I mean, big glossy red lips look enticing from afar, but up close they’re just intimidating.

*Product Review: Cover Girl Outlast Lip Stain

I am a lip stain junkie, and this is the best I’ve found at ANY pricepoint. The challenge: Many lip stains end up looking too purple-plumy to pass off as my own perfectly “born-with” lip color. The solution: I wear the Sassy Mauve shade (#420) nearly everyday, and it’s the most natural-looking hue I’ve found for a medium dark-skinned gal. I know people complain that stains are too drying, but I just layer it with a waxy lip-balm and I’m set. (Make sure it’s wax-based and not slick though, or the oils will break down the stain.) My favorite is the cherry flavored Surgeon’s Skin Secret lip balm that I bought from QVC, but I imagine Chapstick would work too. Listen, I simply don’t have the time or patience to apply and reapply lip color all day. Even if I did, it would come off with the first of ten thousand kisses I give my baby girl on a daily basis. You just can’t beat the long-lasting ease and practicality of a lip stain, versus lipstick or gloss. (Hell, if you’re feelin’ fancy, you can put the gloss over the stain.) Also, unlike many products in its category, the Outlast lip stain has a felt-tip applicator which avoids any ugly messes made by clumsy hands. For around $7.49 at your local drugstore (or drugstore.com), you can have a long lasting “blush” that looks God-given and beats anything you might find at Sephora. To be fair, the pen dries-up faster than you’d want, but even if you go through 2 or 3, it’s still cheaper than the Stila, The Balm, Tarte, or Kimiko alternatives. For an everyday product at everygirl prices … 4 ½ Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment