Welcome to the ultimate beauty-hoarder’s blog of product reviews and random nonsense. Please leave your sanity at the door and join me on my journey of self-discovery through overindulgence. I thank you.

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Yoga Sucks! / The Gods Love Nubia


Once, while out-of-town on business, I took a yoga class with my friend Mary Jo. I never really liked yoga, but hey I was open. We affectionately called our instructor “Skinny Yoga Guy”. I don’t think I ever really knew what his name actually was. (Man, was he weird.) Anyway, on point … one day, in the middle of some awkward pose or another, he turns to me and says, “You have a Nubian Princess air about you”. … Well! I couldn’t help but smile sheepishly at this deliciously unexpected compliment. I mean, I HAVE ALWAYS FELT THIS! Surely my real parents had to have been some sort of African royalty. (OK, give me a break, up until recently little black girls didn’t have any Disney princesses to aspire their likeness. I had to create my own.) At any rate, honored by this random comment, I looked to Skinny Yoga Guy in shameful anticipation of the follow-up, to which he replied, “You know, a lot of water and deep breathing will cleanse you of that”. … I never went back to that class.

*Product Review: Oyin Handmade Burnt Sugar Pomade

So, speaking of my African “roots”, this uber-unction hails from a company that claims to have derived it’s name from the Yoruba word for honey, oyin. (And … of course, the obvious made-by-hand aspect, but … well … you’re not an idiot.) OK, so this Burnt Sugar Pomade is truly a one-stop-shop product. I originally bought this directly from http://oyinhandmade.com/, but you can find it a curlmart.com as well. At $10 per 4 oz. jar, you really get your money’s worth. It intensely nourishes the skin, used wet it defines frizzy curls, and it shapes your dry style. If you have a straight do, it works well as a conditioning dress and does a great job of smoothing errant edges. What’s more, it temptingly anoints the hair and skin with a warm, sophisticated, exotic vanilla aroma that lasts FOR-EVER. (Beware, it is strong.) Their website suggests that this fragrance is appropriate for both men and women, and that is true, provided you are referring to an unabashedly fiery-flamboyant gay man. I have to say, at first I didn’t care for the fragrance, as it reminded me of the Bath & Body Works Warm Vanilla Sugar scent (which I mildly despise). But for some reason, after I wore it for a while, I started to warm up to it and actually came to find it quite enjoyable. The power of the fragrance can be slightly annoying if you’d like to wear an incompatible fragrance (say, a berry or grapefruit) on any given day, but presuming you’re in the mood for it, it’s a real treat. And what can I say, I just like the fun personality of the company owners. Being that this is a small family-run company, it can be hard to get the product you want when you want it, but it is worth the wait. For the sheer cost-effective versatility and fortitude of fragrance … 5 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment