Welcome to the ultimate beauty-hoarder’s blog of product reviews and random nonsense. Please leave your sanity at the door and join me on my journey of self-discovery through overindulgence. I thank you.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Nature Girl


Well, this quest for perfection isn’t only skin deep. I “somewhat” recently transitioned from relaxed hair to my natural tightly curled coils. Ever since, I have been seeking the ultimate answer to that perfect, shiny, bouncy, crunch-free spiral. I have tried countless styling products. This is where it truly approaches the insane.

Side note: With all the recent attention on the idea of accepting and basking in the glory of our natural hair texture (Chris Rock’s documentary "Good Hair", and Essence magazine's exposé on the topic, to name a few), does it not seem odd to you the definition? I mean, can we really classify an end result only possible with the aid of MASSIVE quantities of styling butter, puddings, and whips “natural”. If we’re truly talking “natural”, Don King’s do is about the best I could reasonably aspire to. Should I really embrace that? I’m just saying.

*Product Review: Hair Rules Curly Whip

I regularly buy the 8 oz. bottle of Curly Whip styling gel at http://curlmart.com/ (SKU #HR901). It sells for $20. If you’re adventurous and willing to try the accompanying products, it may be a better deal to get the $29.95 set at HSN. That comes with the curly whip, cleansing cream, conditioner, and a couple shampoo samples. Though I’ve tried (and still use) many different styling potions, this one seems to be the one I come back to most often. Beware, it can be a little drying -- I sometimes layer it with a more emollient cream – so it’s not perfect, but … if your curls tend to look more like a frizzy lion-headed mess, this will whip those wayward curls and spirited spirals into shape. It smoothes and defines each curl, without adding too much volume (my hair is insanely thick). I use enormous quantities of the stuff at a time, and it seems to crunch up less that other gels/creams. (Still, crunch up it will if you go over-the-top.) You’re not left with a matte finish, rather it leaves a nice shine without looking hard or wet, and it doesn’t flake next-day. That is SOOO important! The scent is a very light citrus that fades quickly and won’t interfere with other fragrances you may be wearing. Dry time also appears to be shorter than with similar products. And you gotta love that this potion has a reputation of being adored by both mahogany and melanin-impaired curly girls alike. By the way, don’t be fooled by their “Kinky Curling Cream”. Though (for those kinky-curled girls) it sounds like it would, this does not work better and has a very strong fragrance. So … though this isn’t the end-all-be-all styler, for taming my do when it don’t … 4 Stars.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info. Very helpful and wow, curlmart.com rocks. I wish you had pictures on your blog. I'd love to see some of this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I think I'll get all techno and try to figure that out. :-)

    ReplyDelete