Welcome to the ultimate beauty-hoarder’s blog of product reviews and random nonsense. Please leave your sanity at the door and join me on my journey of self-discovery through overindulgence. I thank you.

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice

Honestly, and I realize this may be hard to believe, but I am not a “girly-girl”. But wait, just hear me out. I can’t figure out eye shadow, steer clear of day spas, don’t like massages, feel out-of-sorts in a dress, can’t be bothered with foundation, simply cannot bring myself to paint my nails, hate doing face masques, don’t have soft hands, have proven unsuccessful at cute trendy hair styles, can’t cook worth crap, and don’t have the time, patience, or coordination to carry a purse (much less a different one with each coordinating designer outfit). What’s more, I actually like camping. And I don’t mean car-camping. I like roughing it outdoors, fishing for your food, and then savagely flinging it onto an open fire in the name of sustenance. (If you refuse to believe this about me, don’t feel bad, my husband of almost 13 years has yet to accept this fact either. Not once has he taken me on any of the many camping expeditions he has had since our nuptials). Don’t misunderstand, I’d like to be a girly-girl. I actually aspire to be a bit like Elle Woods. (Wow, that was embarrassing.) What can I say, I suppose I spent too much time doing karate and climbing trees as a kid. I just can’t shake the tom-boy in me. I guess it really is true what they say, “You can put lipstick on a pig …”

*Product Review: Bath & Body Works True Blue Spa - Shea Cashmere Hand Cream

OK, so outside of Sephora, the girliest place I can think of is Bath & Body Works. Well, (just to prove how non-girly I am) I'm generally not a fan of this establishment. I love the array of diverse scents, but the products usually don't deliver. This product line appealed to me because it came with the full complement. From shower gel to body spray, you could layer to your heart’s content. And you have to know I was enticed by the fact that this cream smelled of mouthwatering vanilla cake. So, I took a chance and tried the 2.5 oz. Hand Cream, on sale at Bath & Body Works for $6 (reg. $12). Much to my chagrin, once applied to the skin, it lost some of its sweetness and became more perfumey. Don't get me wrong, it’s still a nice scent, but for me … cake=edible, perfume=not. It’s really that simple. If only they had their Vanilla Bean Noel available all year. Now that’s a scent worthy of my attention (provided they develop a body butter companion). Its warm and caramely goodness gives you a toothache just glancing at it. But I digress. I used the Cashmere Hand Cream all over my body and it does seem to make the skin silky, but doesn't hydrate at all. (Keep in mind that much of the silky-smooth quality is likely due to the 150,000% silicone content … but, whatever.) In the end, the hand of the Almighty smites me, once again, for my greedy curiosity. Bath & Body Works disappoints again … 2 Stars.

Here’s a TIP: If you're not sure about a fragrance, buy the hand cream and live with it for a few days. This is often the least expensive product in the line, and what you're likely to come out smelling like anyway. Think about it, often the aroma of your lotion is gone by the time you leave the house, but you'll keep applying that hand cream all day long.


Bath & Body Works True Blue Spa Shea Cashmere Hand Cream 2.5 fl oz (73 ml)

No comments:

Post a Comment