Welcome to the ultimate beauty-hoarder’s blog of product reviews and random nonsense. Please leave your sanity at the door and join me on my journey of self-discovery through overindulgence. I thank you.

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Product Swap Party

I think it would be the super most fantastic thing ever to invite all my beauty-obsessed friends over for a little product exchange.  I can’t tell you how many styling products I’ve acquired that cost a bundle and didn’t end up working for me.  Since every curly head is different, though, what didn’t work for me may be the most wonderful thing in the world for someone else.  Not to mention all the lotions, potions, and cosmetics I’ve relegated to the crap pile.  BUT … a fragrance or color that made me wanna puke, may turn out just right on another nose or skintone.  That’s when you can put an otherwise wasted product to good use by swapping it with someone in a similar predicament.  You still get new stuff, but you didn’t have to pay for it, AND you’ve done the good and green thing by recycling and avoiding waste. How fabulous is that!?  So, for this reason, I’d like to get all my LA area girlfriends together for an evening of girlie gab and goodie grabbing.  (Don’t make that dirty.)  Problem is … all of my girlfriends are normal, or … well … not girls. Yep, most of my friends are guys, and the rest are gals who couldn’t give a rat’s booty about beauty products.  How did that happen?  I guess opposites really do attract.  Ah, well.

*Product Review:  Darcy’s Botanicals Natural Coils Curling Jelly

If you’re a fan of Kinky-Curly Curling Custard, you should really enjoy this product.  It’s similar, but it holds up much better next-day.  There’s none of that tacky flake-age and your “do” really does, even after you sleep on it.  An 8 oz. jar will cost you $12 from Culrmart.com or DarcysBotanicals.com.  I think that’s even cheaper than the Kinky-Curly. The texture is that of a very juicy jelly.  It's like a JELL-O mold that didn’t set right, so it’s probably not for travel, but otherwise not a big deal.  The fragrance is a very slight lemonade, that fades quickly and doesn’t overpower.  This definitely replaces Hair Rules Curly Whip as my new favorite.  (My previous post, Nature Girl.)  It has a bit more distinct definition, is all-natural, and holds up better.  For reference, I have INSANELY thick 3C/4A tangly tresses and, as with all my curling concoctions, I apply it section-by-section on SOAKING wet hair.  It is much crunchier and doesn’t leave the hair as soft as the Curly Whip, but it’s all worth it if you look cute.  Right?  Almost every time I use it I get compliments.  Now people are stopping ME to ask what I use on my hair.  That’s a change of events!  In fact, even the young man working at McDonald’s stopped to compliment and ask me about my curls, so you know it must look good.  And he wasn’t gay!  (I have gay-dar like that.)  Let’s face it, the drive-through isn’t generally where you get most of your cosmetic kudos.  My point is … I like it and people are responding to it, so there must be something to that. Not the perfect curly coiler yet, but definitely getting closer … 4¼ Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment