Welcome to the ultimate beauty-hoarder’s blog of product reviews and random nonsense. Please leave your sanity at the door and join me on my journey of self-discovery through overindulgence. I thank you.

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Blame it on Granny

My grandmother (dad’s side) has had the same glass bottle of circa 1970’s Maybelline roller-ball lip gloss prominently displayed on her bathroom shelf for at least the last 30 years. As a wee one, I remember summers at her house, just gazing up at this mystical vessel in wonder. In awe of its magnificence. Though every fiber of my being wanted to touch it, to adore it, to anoint my parched lips with its silky essence … I never dared. I was never told to stay away, but somehow I instinctively knew of its importance. Well … given that the same vial now resides on that same shelf, (seemingly never even been used) it bears a greatly different significance than I had intuited all those years ago. It is not some sacred beauty elixir, waiting for a special moment, but merely a symbol of the shameful disease running rampant throughout our family. Apparently, this beauty-hoarding is genetic. A couple of weeks ago I sat on the pot, looking around my grandma’s lair, and realized that she has 10 times the hardly-ever-to-practically-never used vanity products as I. The only difference is that hers date back to 1930. What’s more, having just returned from a visit to my mother’s princess palace, I realized that my affliction was handed down to me from both sides of the family. A double whammy! Yes, my mother has more un-to-slightly used beauty concoctions than (possibly) even my grandmother. Yet, on any given trip to any given beauty boutique, she still seems to be on a quest for some other coveted and truly “needed” unction. What can I say?  I guess it's in the blood. …Oh yeah, I’m screwed.

*Product Review: Witch Hazel

A nod to the simpler days of Grandma’s yesteryear, let’s talk Witch Hazel. You can find it at any drug or grocery store, and this multi-tasker never costs more that $6 for a 16oz bottle. ($3.49 at Rite-Aid or Drugstore.com.  Even less at Target.) What’s not to like? It’s natural, it’s timeless, it’s unpretentious. With all the fancy-schmancy skincare goodies I use on a regular basis, this is what I use everyday, twice-a-day, as a toner. Pretty anticlimactic, huh? See, I really am a simple girl. Trust me, you don’t need anything more to tone that pretty little face of yours. Save your money for the fun stuff. For its affordability, practicality, availability, and countless other -ilities … 4½ Stars

3 comments:

  1. So, if a person throws everything away (gets rid of stuff) is that related to hoarding?

    I have a question. What about eye make-up - any recommendations for mascara? I have really thin lashes and I'm always on the hunt for something that will improve them. I too am cheap so I don't want to spend a lot, nor do I have the patience to read all the packaging and I don't necessarily trust the ads. You seem pretty expert on lotions, potions, and all things cosmetic, will you help me please?

    Signed
    "desperately seeking longer and thicker lashes"

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I think extreme personalities are all the same. We see a pattern of behavior and either rebel against it by doing the extreme opposite, or adopt it as a learned behavior. Either way ... we're both screwed.

    Second, I did a review on March 18th (Open, Open, Open! - link below) about L'Oreal Bare Natural Mascara. It's a great performer, easy to find at any drugstore, and cheaper than a eunich in a strip bar. Good luck!

    Jennifer
    http://scentsandnonsensibility.blogspot.com/2010/03/open-open-open.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I will check it out and put in check my extreme behaviors.

    Btw, I enjoy your funny, irreverent sense of humor in your writing.

    Signed,
    desperately seeking a healthy set of behaviors.

    ReplyDelete