Welcome to the ultimate beauty-hoarder’s blog of product reviews and random nonsense. Please leave your sanity at the door and join me on my journey of self-discovery through overindulgence. I thank you.

Friday, June 4, 2010

Avid Avarice

I have come to learn that greed is never rewarded. Somehow, the universe always bitch-slaps you for it in the end.

* Here’s a Tip: 3-Step Clearance Stalking

It’s funny, there have been several products about which I’ve gotten really excited and wanted to tell you. However, because I’m a total cheap-ass, I usually wait until something I like (but totally don’t need) goes on clearance before I purchase it. That’s great for me, but not for you. By the time I commit to buying it, receive it, and use it long enough to deem it worthy of my esteemed praise, it’s no longer available for you to acquire. What’s the point of getting you all excited about a fun new this-or-that you won’t be able to buy? That’s just cruel. So I decided I’d share my cheap-shopping tip. I suppose you can do this at most retail sites, but I do this mainly at the Home Shopping Network

1) When I find a product that appeals to me, I place it on my “wish-list”. I watch, continuously and neurotically, for the price to drop. (Beware: this takes an extreme amount of patience and restraint – two things I am sorely lacking. Many times I fail.) Now, don’t be fooled by a “sale” price-drop. I’m talkin’ clearance.
2) Once it goes to a clearance mark-down, I put it in my “shopping bag”. By doing this, I am notified when the quantity becomes very limited. On the HSN “shopping bag” page, they put up a counter that shows you exactly how many items are left (once it gets to about 20 or so).
3) At this point, I check even more frequently and neurotically to see if the price will drop yet again. That’s when you really know you’re taking your chances. You can give in and buy it at the reduced price before it sells out completely (knowing that you can get a price-adjustment if the price falls again within 30 days), or you can play a little game with yourself and see how far you can go before you lose the chance altogether. If it sells out before you seize your opportunity, it wasn’t meant to be.

I find this technique to be particularly rewarding with Theme clothing and Rhonda Shear lingerie. I hardly ever buy from these brands at full price. Many times it works well with Perlier-Italian Beauty too. It does depend on your size and preferences, though. Extra sizes (XS, XL, 2X, etc.) with unusual taste often have the best luck. (Finally I am rewarded for being abnormal and extreme.) Look, I simply can’t handle clearance (or even regular) sales at brick-and-mortar retailers, so this is my attempt at frugality (along with my incessant use of coupons). The moral of the story: If there’s something you want, but that really isn’t important enough to spend the money on, keep an eye on it for a couple a months. If you can get it on clearance, it’s soooo much more enjoyable … and totally guilt-free! I guess it’s kind of my silly little way of making cost-cutting and living on a budget more fun. … I’m kinda crazy, huh? Window to the soul, people. Window to the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment