Welcome to the ultimate beauty-hoarder’s blog of product reviews and random nonsense. Please leave your sanity at the door and join me on my journey of self-discovery through overindulgence. I thank you.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Kiss This

I know they look great when I see them in magazines, but there are just some trends (well, a lot of them) that I simply can’t make work for me. For example:  Cargo pants with heels.  Sure it may look fun and young, but cargo pants are essentially a casual endeavour, and I don’t wear heels casually.  If I I’m lucky enough to have occasion to be informal, I want to spend it comfortably.  For me, heels = sexy, fun, and sophisticated, but NOT comfortable.  Even a “comfortable” pair of heels must be cast aside as soon as I get the opportunity.  Another example would be the bold red lip thing.  Are they appealing?   Maybe.  But, they're also messy, awkward, whorish if done wrong, and (according to a lot of men) slightly intimidating.  It’s high maintenance at the very time you're trying to be alluring.  OK, if you're wearing red lips and not tyring to be sexy, you just look inappropriate.  If you are trying to be sexy, you look unapproachable.  I mean, who wants to take on that mess?   It’s like a diamond watch.  Etiquette dictates that a lady never wear a watch after 6 pm, nor diamonds before, thereby making the diamond watch a useless piece of uncouth couture.  (If you subscribe to the etiquette of yesteryear, that is.)   Honestly, I find that I must throw Emily Post to the wind and disobey this rule on a regular basis, but at least that’s not a dilemma of comfort.  I don’t know.  They say that it takes no more effort to don a nice outfit than to slap on some sweats, but I beg to differ.  Yeah, I may look stylish sometimes, but it took me an hour and a half to get there, and I can’t wait to get back.

*Product Tip:  Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstain +                  Josie Maran Magic Marker = Sensational Magic!

Alright, well there IS a time and place for everything and this week … I needed a sexy ruby red, kiss-proof pout, but didn’t wanna buy anything new.  (I know, I must be sick or something, right?)  I mean, I don’t wear red that often, so why invest?  Anyway, I’m playing a character that demands a rouge pout, but it absolutely, positively HAS to be budge-proof.  (My leading men are handsome enough without the addition of my messy face paint all over them.)  I decided I’d mix a few of the lip stains I already had together to see what I could come up with.  Well, I found that if a start with Maybelline’s Color Sensational Lipstain in Blushing – which is normally a bit to dark and drab – and layer it with Josie Maran’s Magic Marker Lip & Cheek Stain in Waltz – normally too hot pinky bright -- it makes the perfect rich ruby red for my medium dark complexion.  Blot a couple of times, seal it with a waxy lip balm, and it’s pucker-proof.  Ta-da!  I’ve reviewed the Maybelline stain before (I Had a Point), but this gives it a whole new level of usefulness.  I really didn’t use it that much otherwise.  The Josie Maran serves a specific purpose, but again, not often applied.  You can find it at Sephora for $19.  Here’s to making what’s old new again and using what you’ve got.  A 5 Star idea, if I may say so myself.

Josie Maran Magic Marker Lip & Cheek Stain Waltz

No comments:

Post a Comment