Welcome to the ultimate beauty-hoarder’s blog of product reviews and random nonsense. Please leave your sanity at the door and join me on my journey of self-discovery through overindulgence. I thank you.

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Cheap Thrills

Maybelline VE Colossal Waterproof - Classic Black
I’m a simple girl, I am. I’ve never had expensive tastes. Oh, my mother tried in vain to educate me as to the benefits and quality of Guess and Laura Ashley, but I always found their prices offensive to my sensibilities. Never have I needed Prada, Gucci, or Kate Spade to make my day. Sure, I appreciate a fine meal or swanky hotel room as much as the next guy, but it’s not an all-or-nothing thing for me. I can appreciate the simple stuff too. Pricey things give me no greater joy than bargains. In fact, it is quite the opposite. The less I pay for something fun, the more enjoyable I find it. Case in point, I’ve been using Miss Jessie’s Curly Pudding to slick my hair back into buns and updos for years now. At $22 for an 8 oz jar, this is no cheap trick, but I just figured that’s the price you bear for beauteousness. Well, I recently discovered Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel, and have been using it for curl enhancement for a few weeks now. I finally decided to give it a try on my slick-back-age and … voila! It did the trick even better than the Miss Jessie’s. Now, considering those same 8 oz. of Eco Styler will only cost me 87 cents, I’d say that’s a pretty incredible discovery. Why pay more when you can get the same (or better) results from an inexpensive alternative? Who cares about designer labels? In the end, it’s not what carries the most prestige or wears the biggest price tag, it’s what makes you look and feel your best that matters most. If that’s Versace and Crème de la Mer, so be it, but don’t be closed-minded to your other options. I guess what I’m tying to say is … I’ve had my share of edible pleasure at many a fine restaurant, but give me a super-size fry and a Red Lobster coupon and I’m sittin’ on cloud nine. Satisfaction in action, baby!

*Product Review:  Maybelline The Colossal Volum’ Express          
                           Waterproof Mascara - in Glam Black

Speaking of a thrifty thrill, I found this product at my local drugstore. I figured I needed a waterproof lash paint for my fun-in-the-sun vacation, and grabbed this because I had a coupon. For $7.99 (less my $1 off coupon), this stuff worked like a dream. Through rain, salt water, chlorinated sludge, and heavy petting, this glue didn’t budge an inch. It’s remarkable! Nothing moves this pup. NOTHING! The down side: that nothing includes cleanser. Very aggressive application of eye make-up remover or Albolene will do the trick … eventually… but it’s no joke. You put it on, and you better be in for the long haul. Granted, that probably doesn’t bode well for the health of your lashes, in the long-run. It does lengthen, define, and separate as well as my conventional favorites, but it’s definitely not for everyday usage (at least if you wanna have lashes at the end of those everydays). BUT, for those special occasions that call for an indelible wink, it works wonders. It’s definitely something to have in your arsenal … 4 Stars.

Maybelline Volum' Express The Colossal Mascara - Glam Black

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great! I know I am always looking for a long-wearing smudge proof volumizing mascara. :)
    http://pammyblogsbeauty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smudge proof? We're talkin' Armageddon proof! Good luck, girlie. Hope you like it.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete