Welcome to the ultimate beauty-hoarder’s blog of product reviews and random nonsense. Please leave your sanity at the door and join me on my journey of self-discovery through overindulgence. I thank you.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Gift Horses, Mouths, and All That Crap

Know what I hate?  Closed-minded gift getters.  You give something you enjoy to someone who you know doesn’t usually use those types of things, but you wanna share something really wonderful with them.  When they open it up, do you see gratitude or interest?  NO!  You can tell that, within the first 2.5 seconds, they have already made their mind up to never even open the damn thing.  May I implore you, especially around the holidays, to be a little adventurous?  Don't be so stuck in your "but I already have a favorite product" ways.  Be open to trying new things.  What, like you paid for it?  Yes, Christmas is about getting those fun little do-dads you’ve been wanting forever, but it’s also about the spirit in which it was intended.  It’s only natural for people to want to share the things that bring them great pleasure (or just interest them) in the hopes that it will bring you that same joy.  OR, they may have seen a need or compliment that you didn’t even realize.  For instance, my girlfriend, noticing that I rarely set foot outside the house without eye liner, bought me this cool assortment pack of multi-colored Urban Decay eyeliners for Christmas.  Now, being one who spends 90% of my life in the same conservatively boring (yet safe) shade of black-brown (only to be displaced by the oh-so-adventurous BLACK the other 10%), I wasn’t sure I was gonna go for the glittery olive green and sparkly sapphire blue.  BUT … did I regift?  Did I shelve?  NO!  I thought of the spirit in which it was intended and decided to experiment a little, to break out of my comfort zone.  Guess what?  I think they’re really groovy.  I NEVER would have picked out such bold and fun colors for myself (though I would have for others), but she saw something about me that even I had failed to.  In fact, I thought they were so neat, I shared a couple with my baby sister.  (She knows how to glamorize.)  Now, I can’t say that they’ve replaced my classic black-brown for everyday wear, but I have such a blast jazzing it up every now and then.  I look and feel fabulous in a whole new way.  The different shades even give me distinctly sassy little attitudes.  The moral of the story:  Use every unexpected opportunity to step outside of your comfort zone.  You may just find a new one.  Oh, and BE GRATEFUL that someone thought to give your sorry A** a gift in the first place!

*Product Review:  Clean Kids Naturally Banana Smoothie Detangler

Well, in the interest of thinking outside the box (hee hee ... pun), ever wonder why we just assume that children's products should never be used on adults?  I mean, we all know that you shouldn't put just anything on tender young baby flesh, but if it's safe enough for kids, why wouldn't we wanna use it on ourselves?  It hit me one day, as I was conditioning my 2-year-old's curly top, that I could totally use the things I love for her on myself as well.  I was in the midst of a conditioner quest and realized that, not only are her products generally healthier, more easily available, and less expensive than mine, they might be just as effective (if not more so).  Now, originally we were using the TruKid Cool Conditioner (from Drugstore.com), but they stopped carrying it for awhile and I found the Clean Kids Naturally at out local Whole Foods, for $8.99/8oz.  They both cost about the same, but I like the fact that I can just pick up the Clean Kids at the store and avoid the whole shipping thing.  They both are also great products.  They detangle my daughter's coily crown better than any other potions we've tried (like the California Baby and Nature's Baby Organic).  Those pesky snags just seem to melt away.  Both smell good (although I prefer the citrusy scent of the TruKid to the banana of the Clean Kids).  Additionally, they are both "natural" products, though is seems like the Clean Kids actually has better ingredients.  I dunno.  And they both seem to work on my crazy do as well.  Gotta love dual purpose products.  I also love that you can leave them in or rinse them out.  You can't go wrong with either, but for the slip factor, easy accessibility, and great ingredients, I give the Clean Kids Naturally Banana Smoothie Detangler ... 4 ½ Stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment